Where the dreams that you dare to dream come true

Where the dreams that you dare to dream really do come true!

September 23, 2013

Phrases I Love to Hate

I guess this could be considered a soap box rant.  It really has nothing to do with anything, just some pent up feelings of irritation at well-meaning people I suppose.  As I've gone through different phases of life people have said things to me that are very cliche and got old really fast.  Here are a few, and some thoughts I probably had when they were presented to me:

Post-wedding:
"How's married life?"
Okay, I asked this to several friends after they got married, and after I got married, I felt really bad about it.  EVERYONE asks this, and it's one of those questions that you don't really know how to answer, or at least I didn't.  Maybe a better question would be, "Do you like being married?"  I know it's basically the same question, but I think this is what people really want to know anyway, and then it's just a simple yes or no question.

"When are you going to start having kids?"
I just got married, we need time to get used to living with each other.  Not only that, but we don't really have the funds to ourselves, let alone a child.  I'm slightly terrified of children anyway, so I'll probably put off having kids for as long as I can.  And let's be honest, it's really none of your business anyway.

Pregnancy:
"Are you excited?"
As innocent as this might seem, I felt like it was a trap.  I really wasn't excited most of my pregnancy, and even the times that I was excited, it was mostly to not be pregnant anymore.  I felt like I couldn't express my true feelings, because then I would be a bad person.

"How are you feeling?"
Again, an innocent question, but a kind of irritating one.  I felt fine for most of it, but the constant asking of this question made me feel like I shouldn't feel fine, and it seemed like people didn't believe me when I said I did feel fine.  I wasn't comfortable, true, but that's not the same thing.

"Are you ready for a long, hot summer?"
This is probably my favorite one to hate!  I got asked this so many times while pregnant, it took a lot of self control not to hurt people (whether physically or emotionally) by the end, especially if the same person asked that over and over again.  I honestly didn't mind the heat.  I like heat, so it was okay.  I don't know that my body felt the same way, as I had terrible swelling issues, especially with the last month or so.  And it probably helped that my work and house were kept as a pleasant 75 degrees or so.

Post-pregnancy:
"How are you feeling?"
Basically the same thing as during pregnancy.  I feel great.  Yeah, I'm tired most of the time, but I can still function.  Please, just believe me when I say I'm feeling good and doing great!

"You look tired!"
Really?  I just had a baby.  Thanks for pointing out that I look awful when I am already not feeling that great about my looks right now.

I'll get off my soap box now.  :)

Laura

1 comment:

  1. I have to say the last one is my favorite one to hate. I hear it soooo often. Yes, I know I look tired. I haven't slept since 2003. If you hadn't slept in 10 years you'd be tired looking, too. Now leave me alone!

    ReplyDelete