I hear reports on the news complaining that women are only whatever small percentage of CEOs, that there aren't as many women interested in engineering careers, etc, and I can't help but think SO? Yes, women bring different ideas to the table than men. They have different strengths and thought processes than men, so having a woman in the board room brings a different perspective. But, did the media ever stop and think that not all women want to be CEOs and all that? Part of it probably is due to men not wanting to relinquish there hold on power, but maybe part is that women just aren't that interested in what I think is a more masculine job role.
Lately, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been getting a lot of flack, mostly from former members and some current members, that it is sexist. There are several examples, but the one I want to focus on is that being a stay at home mom is demeaning. Obviously, the people who make this argument have never tried it for themselves. Being a stay at home mom is honestly one of the most challenging things I have done; it is taxing physically, emotionally, and even mentally. I find it funny that these feminists are calling foul on a church that promotes being feminine.
Being born and raised in this church as taught me several things, but the one most pertinent to this post is this: I'm a woman, and it's okay to be a woman and want to do feminine things. It's okay if I want to get married before I'm 30. It's okay if I want to become a mother before I'm 35. It's okay if I want to stay at home and raise my kids. It's okay if I want to be nurturing. It's okay if I want to sew, knit, crochet, or any other crafty artistic thing. These are all traits that come naturally to most women, and it's okay to embrace them. Some women might be more inclined to board room-type settings, and for those who want to go out and become a business lady success story, that's okay too.
With the world screaming at me that I have to work in an office and make it to the top of a corporation, I'm glad there is a small voice telling me that it's okay to follow my womanly instincts to stay at home and raise my children.
No comments:
Post a Comment