So far 2012 is not looking like it will be a very good year for me. The year started off fine enough, meaning I had a little bit of a break from school left, and only had to work a few times before school started. Unfortunately, it all went downhill from there.
Working at Silver Loft is by no means my dream job, and in fact, I've been looking forward to quitting for years now. However, I also understand the importance of having a job, especially while neither of us can work very much, and are, therefore, not making much money. Once we graduate, and Ryan can work full time as an electrical engineer, it will probably be less important that I also work. I found out on January 9 that at the end of this month I will no longer have a job at Silver Loft because they are closing my store and I can be transferred to another one. Boy, oh boy did I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I am very happy that I no longer have to work there. On the other hand, I do need a job, and don't feel like there is really any point in job hunting for another minimum wage job since I wouldn't be there for very long.
On the bright side, though, this allows me more time for school, and possibly an opportunity get my internship done faster. Speaking of which, that's the next curve ball that has been thrown at me in the short two weeks of this year. The school requires that I have at least 10 credits of internship to graduate. I met with a lady who is supposedly in charge of helping students get internships, and she basically told me to find a job. I looked for a while, but all I could find were full-time jobs that required a Bachelor's degree. That's not helpful when I'm a full-time student working toward my Bachelor's degree.
I finally resolved that my best chance of getting the credits would to just do it through the school. I got the information I needed to contact the lady in charge of the school internships and asked her to accept me into her lab, letting her know that this is just about the only thing left I need to graduate, and that I would be able to work in her lab for the spring and summer semesters (my adviser told me if I told her those things she would let me in). Next thing I know, I got an email from her telling me to look somewhere else, because her lab is full, and she is only accepting students who can commit for a year!
Maybe it's just me, but if the school is requiring me to do an internship, they should be a little (or a lot) more helpful in me getting one. Okay, I can see where they are coming from on the paid internships, meaning, if you want to get paid, you need to find a job. But even then, they should have a list of companies looking for interns, and not just leave it up to the student to find one. The thing that really made me mad was that the school based lab that is meant for students who don't want to, or can't, do the paid ones can still get their internship hours. I'm pretty sure that they should be required to accept any student who wants to do an internship through them in.
Anyway, enough venting. Despite the high stress in my life right now, I'm sure everything will work out the way it should. I'm so happy to have a loving and patient husband, who is helping me through this. I know I couldn't do it with out him!
Have a happy year!
Laura
that's too bad about your job. why can't you be transferred to another store? and why are they closing yours, i thought it was the most productive one....
ReplyDeleteThey all supposedly have enough people, which I find hard to believe because right now I think everyone could use one or two more people at they're stores. They're closing my store because the rent is too high. I think we are the busiest, but I guess fashion place raised the ren higher than Brooke is willing to pay
ReplyDelete